Tuesday, November 22, 2011

French Fruit Crate

I found this french fruit crate on the blog Dreamy Whites.  She has the most beautiful things in her Etsy shop!

 I loved the combination of the wood and chicken wire.  I REALLY wanted it, but couldn't afford it so I thought I would try to build one myself.  Here is what I came up with:

It kind of takes over my table, but I love it.  I think I am going to build another one only smaller and move this one to the deck.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Coco & Old White Dresser


I wanted to try one of the new chalk paint colors so I picked Coco.  I painted a coat of old white then a coat of Coco, sanded, and waxed.  I did the same with the mirror and painted the original hardware with old white.  I like the color combination, but had a hard time getting a good picture.  We have awful natural light in our house and the colors of the dresser didn't go to well with the wall color.  This one is for sale.  Here is a before, during, and afters:

Friday, November 11, 2011

Ready for Chirstmas!

I just wanted to say thanks for all the comments.  I can't figure out how to reply to individual comments or even leave a comment on my own post!!  I am very new to this blogging stuff - I will figure it out at some point.  :)

This is the second paint job for this dresser.  You can see the original here.  I submitted it to Shauna at Perfectly Imperfect.  I loved her ideas, especially one of the last pictures but couldn't get it to look like the finish in the picture.

  So I changed the dresser from this:

to this:

and here are a bunch more pictures :)

I just love the rusticness (is that a word?) of it, it reminds me of the barns I see when we drive to Kentucky.   I first had Annie Sloan's watered down Old White on the dresser so I put Annie Sloan's dark wax over that to make the now brown color on the dresser.  Stupidly I threw away the red sample paint I used and now I don't know the name.   It was one of the little Behr samples at Home Depot - it was a brighter red.  Anyway I mixed all of that with the same amount of  Martha Stewart's Claret then poured a little more Claret in until I liked the color. It looked a little pinkish when I put it on and I thought oh no what have I done!  It started to look better as it dried.   I then wiped dark walnut stain over the red. The top is also dark walnut stain.  Sorry I wasn't more help with the color.  If I think of it I will add it to the post.

Linking to : http://www.fingerprintsonthefridge.com/2011/11/feature-yourself-friday_11.html




Perfectly Imperfect

Primitive & Proper 

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Much Better!

I'm back with my cabinet from yesterday.  Today I decided to distress a lot more, go over the piece with dark wax and repaint the hardware black.  I am much happier with it now.  I'm  usually happier with a more distressed piece.