I've had a few questions about how I refinish my dresser tops so I thought I would just do a post on it. I'll just start with a picture of all the products I use.
I start out by putting stripper on the
top with a chip brush (not pictured) and let it sit for 10-15 minutes
then start scraping it off with my plastic putty knife (I guess that's
what it's called). There may be a few places where the poly doesn't come
off so just put a little more stripper on. It's usually ready to
scrape off in 5 minutes or less. When I have all the stripper scraped
away I pour a little mineral spirits on the top and use this
to scrub away any leftover stripper. I take the
dresser out in the sun so the mineral spirits can evaporate. The I use
my orbital sander with a 100 grit sandpaper to remove any poly left on
the top. Then switch to 220 grit for my final sanding. I then put some
mineral spirits on a paper towel and wipe away any sanding dust. Let
the mineral spirits evaporate again and I'm ready to stain.
This is what my tops look like when I'm done removing the old finish:
At this point if feels as smooth as a baby's bum. :)
I put my
stain on with a foam brush, leave it on around 5 minutes then wipe off
any excess with an old t-shirt. I give it at least 24 hours to dry
before putting Minwax Polycrylic
on it. It's water based so you need to work fairly fast so it doesn't
dry. I use a foam brush to apply this as well. I like to start at the
back middle of the dresser and work it all the way across then keep
moving up until the top is done then apply to the sides. I let the
first coat dry 3-4 hours then wrap a piece of 400 grit sandpaper ( my
favorite is at home depot) around a sanding block and gently sand the
surface. Use a damp paper towel to get rid of the sanding dust then
repeat this 2-3 more times. Your last application should feel nice and
smooth! I always use the satin finish just because I don't like my tops
to shiny. :) That's it! If you have any questions that I haven't
answered, just ask and I'll be glad to answer!
This cute dresser was picked up for me by my pickers aka my parents. :) It didn't need too much work, I adjusted a couple of drawer guides to make the drawer fit in place and sanded down the inside of the drawers to clean them up. Other than that I just re-stained the top in dark walnut and painted the rest in Annie Sloan's Old White, distressed, and sealed with clear wax. I haven't seen hardware like this before, they remind me of little bows.
This piece was in really nice condition other than dings and scrapes. The drawers were nice and clean and opened and closed super smoothly! I just wiped it down some and shellacked it really well with my spray shellac to hopefully prevent any bleed through. I didn't have any other than on the tops of the drawers and the inside of the dresser where the drawers slide in so I had to go over that again. The top is one of the prettiest I've re-done! I painted it in Annie Sloan's Old White, distressed, sealed with clear wax, sprayed the hardware in oil rubbed bronze, and re-stained the top in dark walnut.
This chest of drawers matches the shorter "London" dresser in the previous post. Both are very well made with solid wood inside and out with drawers that glide in and out smoothly. I added Mixol a universal tint in black to the graphite paint to make it more black than charcoal. I re-stained the top in dark walnut and changed out the pulls.